The following selection of travel tips has been compiled for the general interest of our customers. Please be aware that these should not be viewed as advice to you in respect of this travel insurance from either Columbus Direct or the underwriters.
See a visual representation of some of these travel tips in our Smart Traveller Australia check list infographic.
Before you go…
- Give your travel plans, hotel details and arrival/departure dates to at least two people you can trust.
- Ensure you have had all the necessary vaccinations for the country(s) you are visiting.
Your money, documents and valuables…
- Ensure that passports and required visas are up to date and valid.
- Make a list of travellers cheques and photocopy important travel documents including airline and other tickets, passport, visa and vaccination records. Place a copy in your hand luggage and suitcase and leave a copy at home.
- Carry a minimum amount of cash. Use travellers cheques and credit cards where possible and never counter-sign travellers cheques until you need them.
- Do not place money, documents or valuables in checked-in luggage.
- Never leave money, valuables or documents in your room - always take them with you or place them in a safety deposit box.
- Never leave money, valuables or documents in an unattended vehicle. Any other personal baggage you need to leave should be left in a locked enclosed boot.
At the airport…
- Allow plenty of time to arrive at the departure point by the designated check-in time.
- As soon as you have checked in, go immediately through security. Do not linger in public areas in the airport.
- Never leave your luggage unattended.
- If your luggage is lost or damaged, report it to the airline immediately and ask for a written report before you leave the airport.
- Know your duty free allowance.
While you're away…
- Consider leaving the television or radio on low when away from your holiday accommodation.
- Always take your room keys with you.
- Before answering the door of your hotel room, call reception to confirm the identity of the caller if you are not expecting anyone.